FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 13, 2016
MCCA Recognizes Top Companies’ Diverse Attorney Hiring, Retention and Promotion Initiatives
Employer of Choice awardees will be among those honored at MCCA’s Diversity Gala
at Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts this July
WASHINGTON D.C. – The Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA) announced today the five recipients of the 2016 Employer of Choice Awards, who will be honored during the 2016 Diversity Gala on July 19 at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. The Employer of Choice Awards are designed to celebrate companies that are setting a new standard in hiring, retaining, and developing diverse legal talent.
The Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA) announced today the five recipients of the 2016 Employer of Choice Awards, who will be honored during the 2016 Diversity Gala on July 19 at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. The Employer of Choice Awards are designed to celebrate companies that are setting a new standard in hiring, retaining, and developing diverse legal talent.
“Creating and maintaining an inclusive corporate legal department requires strategic thinking, accountability measures, and a commitment from the top leadership,” said Jean Lee, MCCA President and CEO. “We are excited to honor five companies this year who are leading by example and helping us change the face of the legal profession.”
The 2016 Employer of Choice Award recipients for the five regions are:
- Northeast Region Awardee – Bank of America is recognized for incorporating diversity and inclusion metrics into their management teams’ business goals and performance reviews.
- Mid-Atlantic Region Awardee – Exelon Corporation is recognized for their formal diversity plan developed by a Legal Diversity and Inclusion Committee focused on attracting, retaining and developing women and diverse legal talent throughout their organization.
- Midwest Region Awardee – Kellogg Company is recognized for the success of their diversity recruitment strategy within their Legal and Compliance Department. Half of the General Counsel’s leadership team is female, and 38% are people of color.
- South Region Awardee – The Home Depot is recognized for a Legal Affairs department that sets an annual goal for utilizing diverse law firms, which is tracked and measured quarterly by The Home Depot’s Supplier Diversity department.
- West Region Awardee – Hewlett Packard Enterprise is recognized for ensuring that General Counsel employees enjoy a diverse, supportive and inclusive working environment through involvement and leadership in an array of legal and professional organizations.
“Congratulations to our five awardees this year,” said Diversity Gala Committee Chair Don H. Liu. “We look forward to recognizing them at this year’s MCCA Diversity Gala and highlighting the type of proactive policies that garner real results for inclusive companies.”
These honorees will receive their recognition at the MCCA Diversity Gala, which will take place on July 19, 2016 at the John F. Kennedy Center. The Diversity Gala honors corporate law departments for their leadership in the industry and achievements in their diversity programs.
For more information on MCCA’s Employer of Choice Award and Diversity Gala, please visit www.mcca.com.