Position: Corporate Counsel
Location: Toronto, Canada
VMware is seeking a highly talented lawyer to join our commercial legal team as Corporate Counsel. This person will be based in Toronto, Ontario and will report into the Managing Corporate Counsel for VMware’s Americas Central and Canada region. The primary job responsibility is to provide subject matter expertise in supporting government transactions. The successful candidate will also provide legal advice and counsel to internal clients at all levels on compliance and commercial matters, manage outside counsel in region, and support day-to-day initiatives and long-term strategies of VMware. In addition, as a member of the Americas Legal team, this person will have the opportunity to be involved in strategic legal projects for the Americas.
Conor Cronin, email@example.com
- Provide guiding expertise in Canadian government procurement negotiations, including French language negotiations with Québec public entities.
- Advise on risks and liabilities of proposed commercial transactions and devise creative and practical legal solutions to meet business objectives.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a broad range of commercial agreements, including software licensing, support services, cloud computing, and nondisclosure agreements.
- Keep abreast of applicable laws, regulations and industry guidance that impact commercial agreements.
- Act as a fiduciary for the company driving compliance in day-to-day sales activities, including providing training and counseling to sales professionals and coordinating with other groups within the Legal Department on compliance matters.
- 6 to 10 years of transactional legal experience comprised of time spent at a major law firm or in-house with a high tech company. In-house legal experience is preferred.
- High volume commercial transactions experience with a software or other technology company, including experience with licensing and/or services sales agreements.
- An excellent negotiator with strong influencing skills experienced at drafting commercial contracts in both English and French.
- JD from an accredited U.S. law school; member in good standing of a U.S. State bar
- Demonstrated capability in creating and negotiating complex legal transactions in addition to typical sales agreements.
- A practical and proactive problem-solver who possesses strong business acumen and is confident, mature and calm under fire.
- Must be able to juggle multiple priorities and tasks in a fast paced environment, but be focused when needed on the matter at hand.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, interpersonal skills, and leadership skills.
- Must be able to work effectively both independently and with a team.
- Of the highest degree of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
Education & Licenses
- LLB/JD from an accredited Canadian or U.S. law school required
- Excellent academic performance
- Member of a Province/State Bar in good standing