Company: Gap, Inc.
Position: Real Estate Counsel
Location: San Francisco, CA
Description: Gap Inc. is seeking an attorney with the ability to provide timely and effective legal services with a high level of independence on a wide range of Real Estate Law matters. The attorney’s primary focus of work will be on property management, but the attorney will also handle retail leasing and commercial contracts (real estate and non-real estate related) matters up to 30-50% of the time depending on need.
- This position is a Director level independent contributor, but will be expected to quickly take on direct leadership of at least one property management team member.
- Manages outside counsel and outsourced legal services vendors.
- Functional expert with strong leadership and management skills who manages highly complex legal matters and critical projects. Skilled at identifying risks and assisting business partners in managing the same.
- Contributes to Real Estate Law Leadership Team and Commercial Contracts team, as well as cross-functional business teams from Global Real Estate, Corporate Real Estate and Operations.
- Point of contact for senior business leaders in Global Real Estate, Finance, Brand leadership, Strategic Sourcing, Risk Management and Corporate Facilities.
This position is located in San Francisco. Work will primarily cover US, Mexico and Canada-based matters, but will require some other international engagement as well. Limited travel required.
Contact: David Taylor, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Corporate Facilities – Advising on and negotiating complex transactions and resolving disputes and other issues concerning worldwide portfolio of owned and leased properties, including headquarters and regional offices, distribution centers, studios, and flex space, working closely with internal business partners to develop and implement Gap Inc.’s corporate real estate strategies.
- Strategic Sourcing – Negotiating contracts and resolving vendor issues concerning property operations and construction services related to retail stores, corporate offices, distribution centers and other corporate facilities.
- Retail Leasing – Negotiating retail leases for Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Athleta and Intermix.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in U.S., with at least 5 years’ experience in both in-house and law firm.
- Spanish language skills a plus
- Strong experience in negotiating constructions contracts and advising on construction related disputes a plus
- Strong experience in real estate law and industry knowledge, including litigation, lease and purchase and sale transactions, construction, property management and rent payment issues.
- Experience supporting legal and general advisory needs associated with large scale real estate portfolio, including retail and corporate offices and distribution centers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including for executive management audience.