- Assists clients with U.S. and international trade controls and regulatory compliance issues affecting international trade and business.
- Member, Akin Gump Diversity & Inclusion Council.
- Member, Akin Gump Hiring Committee.
- Member, Akin Gump Africa Initiative Steering Committee.
Nnedinma (Nnedi) Ifudu Nweke counsels U.S. and non-U.S. clients on U.S. laws and policy affecting cross border transactions and international trade, including export control laws, economic sanctions and trade embargoes, antiboycott laws and regulations, anticorruption laws including Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and anti-money laundering laws.
Nnedi represents clients in international trade matters before several U.S. government departments and agencies, including the departments of Commerce, State and the Treasury. She has helped clients in various industries to effectively manage due diligence reviews in connection with investment fund formation, mergers, acquisitions and other transactions. Nnedi also advises clients on how to respond to U.S. government investigations, develop and implement compliance policies and procedures, prepare voluntary self-disclosures, and conduct internal reviews, audits and investigations.
Nnedi maintains an active pro bono practice, and, in December 2020, joined the board of the Center for Democracy in the Americas, a D.C.-based non-profit, non-partisan organization promoting U.S. policy toward the Americas based on engagement and mutual respect. Nnedi also helped relaunch Akin Gump’s cross-practice Africa initiative, which comprises attorneys working on matters involving the region and who are interested in or view the continent as the next frontier for expanding legal work.
- Counsels clients subject to U.S. sanctions on compliance with U.S. regulatory requirements, delisting applications, requests for OFAC specific licenses, guidance and advisory opinions, and scope of permissible transactions with non-sanctioned business partners.
- Conducts global anticorruption and sanctions risk assessments and investigations in connection with transactional due diligence.
- Advises non-U.S. clients on compliance with applicable U.S. secondary sanctions measures regarding Iran and Russia.
- Assists registered investment advisers, private equity funds and other financial institutions on compliance with U.S. anti-money laundering laws and best practices, and develops related compliance programs.
- Provides legal counsel to global energy companies on U.S. legal and policy developments regarding Russia, Myanmar, Venezuela and Iran, and implications for global business operations.
- “AGOA: Options for Greater U.S.-Africa Partnership,” Panelist, The Association of Women in International Trade Trust AGOA Panel, March 30, 2021.
- “The Most Critical Economic Sanctions Trends Affecting Exports & Reexports: The Lesser Known Pitfalls to Avoid for 2021” Panelist, ACI Conference on US Export and Reexport Compliance for Canadian Operations, January 26-27, 2021
- Introductory Remarks on Russia Sanctions Developments in 2020 and Outlook for 2021, Co-Chair and Moderator, 3rd ACI/C-5 Annual Conference on Navigating Russia Sanctions Complexities, November 9-10, 2020
- “When the Government Comes Knocking: Internal Investigations, Subpoenas and Government Sanctions,” Panelist, Corporate Counsel Women of Color 16th Annual Career Strategies Conference, September 30, 2020.
- “Transformation in the Legal Industry,” Panelist, Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM) Arbitration Centre, Knowledge Series Webinar, June 23, 2020.
- “U.S.-Cuba Investment in 2019: Building on Success or Biding our Time?” Akin Gump Cuba seminar, November 27, 2018.
- “Trump and Trade: 2018 Compliance Implications,” African-American General Counsel Retreat, Miami, March 10, 2018.
- “EU Sanctions Developments,” Akin Gump’s Seminar on International Sanctions and Anti-Bribery Laws, Moscow, March 1, 2018.
- ”International Sanctions and Antibribery Laws: Risk and Compliance Considerations, Akin Gump Seminar, Moscow, March 1, 2018.
- “Cuba, Open for U.S. Business?” LITE (Legal Innovator Talk Experience), Washington, September 25, 2016.
- “Update on EU Sanctions/Russia/Iran/Ukraine,” NielsonSmith’s EU Trade Controls for North American Companies 2016, Washington, May 4, 2016.
- Panelist, “Back to Business in Iran After the Nuclear Deal: Maximizing Opportunity and Minimizing Liability Risks,” Strafford Webinar, October 13, 2015.
- “Policy, Politics and Proliferation: Planning for the P5+1 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action Regarding Iran,” Akin Gump Webinar, April 21, 2015.
Public Service and Affiliations:
- Member, board of directors, Center for Democracy in the Americas.
- The National Law Journal, D.C. Rising Star, 2019.