Joyce Smith began her career with Baker McKenzie as an International Clerk working in the Firm’s Amsterdam office in 1992. She joined the San Francisco/Palo Alto office in 1993 and became a partner in 2010. Her practice focuses on advising some of the Firm’s most recognized technology companies on structuring, managing and implementing cross-border commercial and technology transactions in connection with global expansion, strategic alliances, corporate and tax reorganizations, and post-acquisition integrations.
Through her leadership and broad-ranging expertise, Joyce has strengthened the Firm’s reputation as a leading expert in commercial, IP and compliance issues for large-scale cross-border transactions, IP migrations, buy/sell conversions, intercompany IP commercial transactions, spin offs and divestitures and a myriad of tax, corporate and business restructurings which cut across numerous jurisdictions, practice groups, business lines and industries.
Joyce has held a number of leadership positions at the Firm, including her current roles as:
- Leader of the Firm’s Global IP Transactions and Tax Practice;
- Chair of the California International Commercial Practice Group;
- Member of the North America International Commercial Group Steering Committee;
- Member of the Firm’s Global Diversity & Inclusion Committee;
- Member of the Firm’s North America Diversity and Inclusion Committee;
- Member of the Firm’s Global Taskforce on Racial and Ethnic Diversity; and
- Member of the North America Client Growth Initiative Steering Committee.
She has been named one of The Recorder’s Women Leaders in Tech Law (2014) and a Most Influential Black Lawyer by Savoy Magazine (2018).
Joyce is frequently asked to speak on topics related to IP and commercial and compliance aspects of global tax, corporate and supply-chain restructurings, IP migrations, digital transformation and the cloud. Over the years she has presented to hundreds of business professionals at events hosted by Baker McKenzie and The Association of Corporate Counsel (San Francisco Bay Area Chapter).
Joyce is a member of a number of local and industry related organizations, including the California State Bar Association (International Law Section), the District of Columbia Bar and Black Tech Lawyers. She is admitted to practice in both California and the District of Columbia.