Company: Crowell & Moring, LLP
Position: Manager or Senior Manager, Diversity & Inclusion
Location: Washington, DC; Los Angeles, CA; Orange County, CA; San Francisco, CA; or New York City
Description: Crowell & Moring was founded in 1979 by 53 lawyers who left a large national firm to begin a different kind of law firm. Since then, we’ve grown to more than 500 lawyers in Washington, D.C., New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Orange County, London, and Brussels. And we’ve created some impressive milestones along the way.
The Diversity & Inclusion Manager/Senior Manager will work closely with the firm’s Diversity Council, the Professional Development team, the Legal Recruiting team, leaders of affinity groups, partners and other managers in human resources to support the firm’s commitment to diversity and inclusion efforts. The Diversity & Inclusion Manager/Senior Manager will focus on developing and overseeing the execution of specific strategies to embed diversity, inclusion and cultural competency into the firm’s day-to-day operations, including in training, hiring, retention, and education for both the firm’s attorney and staff population.
This position could be based at either of our offices: SF, LA, OC, DC or NY.
- Recommend and oversee implementation of diversity and inclusion initiatives to the Diversity Steering Committee and/or Diversity Council to benefit both attorneys and staff.
- Manage the departmental budgets with the goal of maximizing return on investment, controlling costs, and using talent and resources efficiently.
- Build relationships with and serve as a resource, mentor, advisor and diversity subject matter expert to the firm’s lawyers and professional staff.
- In collaboration with the firm’s Diversity Council and Diversity & Inclusion Specialist, develop and implement a diversity plan consisting of short- and long-term diversity goals for both lawyers and professional staff. Collaborate with firm leadership to integrate and align the firm’s commitment to diversity and inclusion into all of its talent functions, including recruiting, professional development and marketing and business development.
- Collaborate with Legal Recruiting department to manage the firm’s diversity recruiting efforts by identifying and recommending current best practices in diversity recruitment to enhance the firm’s ability to effectively recruit and retain a diverse pool of attorneys.
- Collaborate with the Diversity & Inclusion Specialist and the rest of the Professional Development department to manage specific processes and plans to develop and retain attorneys of color, LGBTQ attorneys, female attorneys and other under-represented attorneys. This includes ensuring the firm’s staffing reflects the firm’s commitment to diversity and inclusion and designing and implementing networking, mentorship, sponsorship, and both formal and informal training opportunities.
- Oversee the Diversity & Inclusion Specialist, who will liaise between the firm’s Diversity Council and various affinity groups, to ensure the activities and focus of the affinity groups (including the Women’s Attorney Network (“WAN”)) are communicated appropriately within the firm, and that the affinity groups are properly supported, particularly in terms of regular meetings, events and broader initiatives
- Actively monitor progress made on the firm’s diversity goals. May participate in or oversee Diversity & Inclusion Specialist’s role in gathering utilization metrics, feedback from internal affinity groups plus diversity hiring and attrition statistics.
- Collaborate with the firm’s marketing and business development team and Diversity & Inclusion Specialist on the communication of the firm’s diversity commitment and activities on the firm’s intranet, website, and other publications, and in response to client requests for proposals.
- Oversee participation in industry surveys regarding diversity and inclusion, RFPs, and related instruments in response to client inquiries. Ensure survey deadlines are met.
- May supervise administrative staff responsible for diversity and inclusion functions.
- In collaboration with Director, manage a diversity and inclusion budget encompassing sponsorships and other programs with regular assessment of external sponsorships and related expenditures to ascertain return on investment.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree; J.D. or advanced degree is preferred.
This position requires a minimum of five to eight (5-8) years of increasingly responsible, directly related diversity and inclusion experience in a law firm or law school environment, during which the knowledge, skills and abilities applicable to the position were demonstrated. Supervisory experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to provide quality client service to internal and external contacts regarding routine and complex matters, and to develop and maintain effective business relationships with people of diverse backgrounds. Requires tact, patience, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated intellectual curiosity and commitment to innovating and enhancing the firm’s practices to ensure that we continue to be industry leaders in these critical areas.
- Demonstrated ability to generate new and innovative ideas, programs and solutions to ensure the organization meets or exceeds its diversity and inclusion goals.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, and to make presentations to small and large groups in an effective manner.
- Ability to pay impeccable attention to detail.
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Suite to produce quality written communications, including presentations and advanced functions of Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects in a dynamic and complex environment, meeting deadlines and successfully managing the daily workload.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others in a cooperative manner to accomplish work and participate in team efforts.
- Demonstrated ability to represent the firm with professionalism and honesty, consistently acting in an ethical manner.