Position: Senior Trial Attorney
Location: Houston, TX
Description: Represent clients who are customers of Allstate Insurance Company, Encompass, and Esurance (“the Company”) in the defense of bodily injury liability and property damage liability lawsuits. Represent the Company in the defense of certain uninsured/underinsured motorist claims. The Trial Attorney will conduct examinations under oath of claimants asserting claims against the Company under their insurance policies and, acquire broad knowledge of the Company, your business area’s processes and procedures as well as best practices. The Trial Attorney will be primarily responsible for managing your assigned cases by acquiring, compiling and integrating case-related information and legal research, developing and implementing litigation strategies in cooperation with your clients and claims personnel, developing and implementing litigation tactics to obtain prompt resolution of claims, and achieving team objectives.
- Review new file assignments and approve initial pleadings, propound discovery, and/or develop strategy
- Contacts clients to discuss their case and answer any questions. Maintains contact at a minimum of 90 days
- Contact claims (initial litigation plan, recurring minimum 90 day contact, strategy conferences, etc.)
- Review all documentary evidence
- Prepares witnesses and clients for depositions, arbitrations, mediations and trials including expert witnesses
- Conducts depositions and examinations under oath and prepares summary documents
- Prepares and conducts court appearances (matter management conferences, hearings, status conferences, etc.)
- Conducts settlement/dispositive proceedings (e.g. mediations, arbitrations, etc.)
- Try and/or arbitrate cases and prepares motions in limine and summary documents
- Draft post-trial motions
- Prepare for and participate in appeals
- Provide legal opinions to claims clients
- Investigate and pursue subrogation litigation as appropriate
- Manages projects
- Juris Doctorate and member in good standing of state of practicing
- Up to 10 plus years of litigation and or subrogation experience, including 1st OR 2nd chair jury trial experience
- Insurance defense strongly preferred
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office, LexisNexis (preferred), and the internet
- Ability to work well with others on a team of attorneys, paralegals, administrative assistants, supervised by Lead Counsel
- Must be able to handle a heavy caseload
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills are key to working with a variety of internal and external contacts as well as for preparing reports, pleadings, and correspondence, collaborating with others, etc. You will work independently as well as part of a cohesive team.
- Periodically lifting in excess of 20 pounds throughout the day, depending on court matters being handled. Attorneys are required to cover court matters for each other; attorneys have laptops;
- Bending to pick up the computer bag which sometimes is more than 20 pounds, entering and exiting a vehicle, maneuvering files and computer at security checkpoints;
- Turning and twisting at work;
- Driving at least 40-50 miles daily depending on the activities being covered, court, doctors’ depositions, discovery depositions, and case evaluations, etc.
- Sitting for pro-longed periods of time en route to court, in court or at court proceedings, depositions, etc.;
- Walking and rolling brief case with files from vehicle to the legal proceeding and/or deposition, and facilitations, etc;
- Trial preparation could require lifting in excess 20 lbs. because of exhibits, materials, records from plaintiff, etc. These materials are printed for some proceedings.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.