Company: Cigna Insurance
Position: Senior Managing Counsel Healthcare, Head of Privacy Law
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Description: Experienced privacy and data use attorney needed to lead Privacy law team responsible for supporting all aspects of Cigna’s domestic business. This role will provide counsel for privacy and data-related client and contractual issues and complex data use issues under HIPAA and other privacy regulations. The role is a direct report to the Global Chief Privacy Officer, and serves as a key strategic partner to Cigna’s Data Analytics function and other core business functions.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Counsel and collaborate with multiple internal clients, including at senior levels, such as Health Services, Government businesses, US Commercial, Sourcing, Information Security, Data Analytics, Sales, Account Management, and Internal Audit.
- Manages in-house team of privacy lawyers and external counsel.
- Counsel entities that must comply with widely varying privacy requirements. Entities include Covered Entities, Business Associates, Hybrid Entities, Data Controllers, Data Processors, and others.
- Provide legal advice and leadership for data loss incident preparation and legal response in collaboration with Information Security staff.
- Provide counsel related to advanced and cutting-edge data use and acquisition, as well as data mapping, classification, and related data management and governance.
- Manage complex legal issues and risk related to data analytics, AI, de-identification, and use of new and innovative technologies.
- Support the privacy, security, and data protection aspects of relationships and contracts with technology companies, “switch” vendors, HIEs, EMRs, app developers, and data aggregators.
- Interpret and apply privacy and data protection law and contractual requirements to a wide variety of business initiatives, such as (i) the development of clinical programs for patients and plan members; (ii) communications to providers and patients; (iii) policy development; (iv) collaboration and data exchange between affiliated and outside entities; and (v) digital initiatives such as website, email, text, social media, mobile apps, etc.
- Negotiate privacy and data use provisions, consistent with the company’s strategy and goals.
- Collaborate with other attorneys in the Legal Department as a leader and subject matter expert.
- Stay abreast of, and communicate clearly to non-lawyers, changes to or developments in privacy and data protection laws and regulations and their impact on business operations.
- Apply sound business judgment to the provision of legal advice and continuously look for opportunities to improve service.
Contact: Arria Brown, Senior Legal Recruiter
- Juris doctorate degree
- Bar membership
- Deep knowledge of health care privacy, including the pharmacy benefit management, health plan, and pharmacy businesses is a must.
- Ideal candidate will have 10+ years of experience advising healthcare organizations on matters including privacy, and at least 5 years of managerial experience.
- Demonstrate an understanding of privacy laws and regulations, including HIPAA, state privacy and data breach laws, TCPA, CAN-SPAM, COPPA, Part 2, the Privacy Act of 1974, and international data protection laws.
- Understand the overall healthcare legal environment and business, including operating in large complex environments, and display a passion for continuous learning about sophisticated privacy and data protection issues.
- Detail orientated with strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously, including management of direct or matrixed privacy professionals, while maintaining high quality and performance under pressure.
- We are open to location but prefer someone in the CT or St Louis office.