Position: Senior Director & Associate General Counsel, Employment Law – Global Lead
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Description: VMware is seeking an experienced employment attorney to lead its Global Employment Law Group (“ELG”), which is the team responsible for handling all labor and employment legal matters at VMware globally. This position will be based at VMware’s headquarters in Palo Alto, CA, and will report to the Vice President & Deputy General Counsel – Litigation, Employment, Cybersecurity & Regulatory Compliance.
The ELG team partners closely with Human Resources and its core business partners to drive global consistency in VMware’s relationship with its employees, while ensuring compliance with applicable laws. The team helps drive VMware’s success by:
- Identifying and assessing legal risks and opportunities within the labor and employment area and implementing risk mitigation strategies;
- Counseling management and HR on new or pending employment laws, rules and regulations, and industry trends that may impact VMware and its operations
- Providing timely, practical, and business-oriented legal advice to all VMware business Units on topics such as growth and scale strategies, hiring, immigration, disputes and litigation, new country expansions, terminations, executive compensation, wage and hour, benefits,, restrictive covenants, leaves of absence and accommodations, internal investigations, and re-organizations;
- Implementing personnel policies addressing topics such as discrimination, bullying, flexibility, wages, and contingent workers;
- Effectively representing VMware before Federal and state courts and administrative agencies in employment-related litigation;
- Assisting with mergers and acquisitions by analyzing employment issues, assisting with deal terms, and guiding successful integration of acquired employees into VMware; and
- Training and coordinating with other Legal Team members to enable them to assist with employment matters globally under the Legal Team’s “One Team” model
A qualified candidate for this position will excel in four areas: (a) as a strong individual contributor on global employment law issues; (b) as a well-organized and detail-oriented attorney and practical thinker; (c) as an outside counsel and people manager; and (d) as a driver of good business process within the Company. Candidates should also be able to evaluate and balance the needs and priorities of the business when making strategic decisions on employment-related issues. Other primary responsibilities include:
- Work closely with the Vice President & Deputy General Counsel – Litigation, Employment, Cybersecurity & Regulatory Compliance to set strategic vision, goals, and direction for ELG and drive continual improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the team.
- Under the Legal Team’s “One Team” model, coordinate and collaborate with Legal Team members in other groups to train and engage them to assist with employment matters globally, essentially as extended “members” of ELG.
- Serve as strategic business partner and trusted legal advisor to the HR Team.
- Help keep VMware legal, ethical, and competitive by enabling efficient management of our global workforce in a dynamic environment.
- Manage a global team of experienced employment attorneys and professionals, and assist the team with working collaboratively with other Legal and Business functions.
- Build and maintain a positive and influential relationship with senior leaders throughout VMware.
- Serve as active and influential member of senior HR staff.
- Foster a culture of inclusion, diversity, recognition and excellence within the team.
- Stay on the cutting edge of global employment trends and take proactive, affirmative steps to minimize potential legal exposure for VMware.
- Work with team to provide advice to M&A team relating to employment aspects of potential transactions, including deal terms for both letters of intent and merger agreements.
- Collaborate with team and outside counsel to efficiently manage all aspects of outside counsel relationships, including staffing, budgets, and developing and participating in initiatives for reducing outside counsel spend.
- Effectively manage team spend to meet budget requirements and limitations.
Contact: Christine Kapaklis
- J.D from an accredited law school, strong academic record, and bar admission are required.
- 18+ years of global employment experience at a top-tier law firm and in-house at a public company.
- Deep substantive expertise across broad range of global employment, labor, and benefits laws applicable to a multi-national public company, and familiarity with compensation and benefits arrangements.
- Superior management skills with the ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports through collaboration across a multi-national, dispersed organization.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire global teams to achieve their potential and expand their capabilities.
- Ability to interface effectively with all levels of the organization and to gain the trust and confidence of colleagues, business leaders, and executives.
- Excellent legal and business judgment, high standards, and impeccable integrity.
- Ability to think strategically and to give practical legal advice in the face of ambiguity or uncertainty.
- Effective at managing and working with others in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to multi-task and manage a large volume of concurrent projects
- Must have demonstrated success at influencing decision makers and solving cross-organizational problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficient at reducing large amounts of information to a critical few important themes/issues and clearly communicating these to senior management.
- Adept at anticipating emerging employment and benefits legal trends and designing and implementing strategies and tactics to address them.
- Extremely well organized, strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, and a sense of humor.
This job opportunity is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsorship by VMware.
Please apply by clicking: http://bit.ly/R1915847