Description: The Multifamily Real Estate Group of the Legal Division (Legal MFRE) is looking for an attorney to join its staff as Senior Counsel. Legal MFRE is responsible for providing legal support to the Multifamily Division, the leading financier of rental properties in the country. The Multifamily Division purchases multifamily loans individually, in portfolios, and as structured finance transactions, and securitizes the majority of the loans it purchases. Legal MFRE provides transactional support to the Multifamily Division for each multifamily loan purchased and serviced by Freddie Mac and are also key advisors to its clients on significant business and product decisions.
We are searching for a new member of our legal team to support our Conventional loan production, underwriting and related activities.
Your work will fall into the following categories:
Analysis and Counsel
- Serve as legal counsel, independently and/or assisting or collaborating with other attorneys, for Freddie Mac’s purchase of multifamily loans.
- Negotiate contracts/commitments and loan documents, review and analyze legal issues in connection with loan purchases, servicing and securitization, and support the real estate aspects of securitization.
- Provide support for Multifamily Division costing, pricing, lender approvals and eligibility matters, multifamily research, marketing and communications.
- Develop and update multifamily loan documents and forms and provide support for the Multifamily Seller/Servicer Guide and related credit policies.
- Assist other attorneys with the servicing of multifamily mortgages and other asset management and operational matters.
- Provide legal advice to internal clients on a broad range of legal matters related to Freddie Mac as a business entity, including the development of products, initiatives and product enhancements.
- Collaborate with peers to ensure consistency of legal advice and negotiating positions.
- Develop and maintain cooperative relationships with lenders from whom Freddie Mac buys multifamily mortgages, lawyers for those lenders, and with borrowers, servicers and investors.
- Draft well-structured, complete and concise correspondence and documents for internal and external purposes.
- Manage outside counsel
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree; membership in good standing in a state Bar
- No less than 5 years of legal experience in commercial real estate finance transactions with a law firm or corporate law department, including primary responsibility for negotiating and closing real estate finance transactions
- Familiarity with common commercial real estate lender-borrower issues and ability to quickly negotiate resolution of the same
- Ability to work comfortably and routinely as part of a team and to cooperate across organizational boundaries
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple pending time sensitive matters
- Strong legal analytical skills
- Experience with Microsoft Word
Keys to Success in This Role
- Superior oral and written communications skills
- Expertise in managing large, complicated transactions
- Ability to create and maintain strong collaborative relationships with colleagues, clients and customers
Top 3 Personal Competencies to Possess
- Partnership – Build trust and strong partnerships through your own and your team’s actions
- Customer/Client Focus – Personally engage with customers/clients to learn their needs
- Drive for Execution – Be accountable for strong individual and team performance