Position: Senior Corporate Counsel – Global Commercial Programs Legal Team– Commercial Legal Group
Description: As a result of VMware’s continued expansion, we have an opening for a new attorney role based in the United States. We are looking for a talented, self-motivated, and proactive commercial lawyer with an extensive background supporting outbound sales utilizing a channel-focused business model. The right candidate is expected to add measurable business impact by acting as a trusted advisor to our business teams that are focused on selling VMware offerings through an extensive array of channel partners (e.g. distributors, resellers, OEMs, systems integrators, service providers, etc.). The person will be based in VMware’s offices in the United States, and report to the Assistant General Counsel & Director, Partner Sales Legal Team. The primary job responsibility is to provide practical and innovative legal advice on a broad range of commercial and compliance matters to internal channel-focused business clients. As a member of the wider Commercial Legal Group, this person will also have the opportunity to be involved in legal projects and longer-term department strategies.
- Provide support to channel-focused route to market business owners (e.g. Distribution, OEM, Cloud Provider, Resell), Global program teams (e.g. Partner Programs, Partner Incentives, Channel Compliance), Channel sales & the worldwide Commercial Legal team to provide general advice and counsel and draft, review and negotiate a broad range of complex commercial agreements with Channel Partners & Distributors involving the sale of software licenses, hardware, and cloud services.
- Acting as a trusted advisor to the Channel leadership & associated business teams and provide ongoing counsel while bringing ideas that help define broader business strategy and direction.
- Regularly liaise with & support our Regional Commercial Legal Teams (AMER, APJ, EMEA) & Compliance teams regarding Channel matters.
- Collaborate and partner effectively with internal business clients to advise on a wide range of legal topics relevant to the Channel. Provide interpretation of terms and conditions and make practical and pragmatic recommendations based on a risk analysis, ensuring adherence to company policies including revenue recognition.
- Act as a fiduciary for the company. Work in collaboration with Regional Commercial Legal Teams and the Ethics & Compliance functions to emphasize and foster a culture of integrity and compliance. Identify and drive awareness around changes to the legislative and regulatory landscape that may have an impact on VMware’s channels business (e.g. competition/antitrust regulations), including developing and delivering training to in-house business clients.
- Take responsibility for projects initiated by both the legal department and the VMware business as appropriate.
Contact: Christine Kapaklis
- A qualified lawyer licensed to practice in the United States.
- Minimum of 12 years’ experience with significant experience (1) providing advice/guidance to a business(es) regarding the sale of its product offerings through its channel partners and (2) supporting a channel-focused business, preferably in the Technology sector, either with a software/IT company, or in a law firm with competence in supporting software or IT companies. We will consider the applications of candidates who fall outside of this range but who have the relevant experience.
- Demonstrable experience in commercial law, experience in reviewing, drafting, managing and negotiating a wide variety of international commercial contracts in the IT sector, with an emphasis on channel sales agreements (e.g. OEM distribution agreements, distributor agreements, and reseller agreements), software licensing, hardware sales, and cloud service provider agreements.
- Knowledge or experience in privacy and/or cybersecurity matters would be considered an asset.
- An in-depth understanding of relevant competition law legislation and its application to VMware’s business is preferred.
- Negotiator with strong influencing skills who focuses on client satisfaction and can plan, manage and conduct negotiations on a non-confrontational win-win basis.
- Problem solver with ability to quickly and concisely analyze legal issues and help to develop innovative solutions that achieve a successful commercial outcome whilst protecting the company from risk.
- Strong business acumen and a familiarity with GAAP rules and revenue recognition issues.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability and desire to collaborate in a high energy and innovative legal team.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently, juggle multiple priorities, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced high-growth environment. Ability to focus and drive projects from the start through to conclusion.
- Highest degree of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- Fluency in English is essential.
This job opportunity is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsorship by VMware.
Please apply to this role by clicking: http://bit.ly/R1916037