Position: Senior Corporate Counsel, Employment – Americas Lead
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Description: We are seeking an experienced employment law attorney to join VMware’s Legal Team and lead our group of legal professionals responsible for counseling on employment law issues across the Americas region. The successful candidate will join a fun and hard-working group of global employment attorneys who work closely with Human Resources, Employee Relations, and Global Ethics and Compliance to drive global consistency in VMware’s relationship with its employees, while ensuring compliance with applicable laws.
This position will be based in Palo Alto, CA, and will report to the Senior Director and Associate General Counsel, Employment Law – Global Lead.
- Serve as the lead employment lawyer for VMware’s Americas region (United States, Canada, and Latin America);
- Lead and/or participate in special projects with cross-functional teams, including those focused on improving and enhancing employment-related policies, practices, and processes to execute priorities and ensure compliance;
- Help provide practical and business-oriented legal advice to the global human resources team and the business regarding all aspects of the employer/employee relationship including, hiring, performance management, discrimination, harassment, wage and hour, restrictive covenants, leaves and accommodations, compensation and benefits, reductions-in-force, contractor issues, and diversity and inclusion;
- Provide employment law support in connection with mergers & acquisitions including due diligence and post-close integration;
- Provide support with regard to interpretation and enforcement of sales commission plans;
- Respond to attorney demand letters and agency matters, including government-initiated inquiries and audits;
- Manage and partner with outside counsel in employment litigation matters;
- negotiate separation agreements;
- Collaborate with the Human Resources Team to generate and implement trainings on HR and employment law topics; and
- Participate in global projects and initiatives, as needed.
Contact: Christine Kapaklis
- You hold a JD from an accredited U.S. law school and are a member in good standing of a U.S. State bar (preference for California);
- 12+ years specializing in U.S. employment law, with in-house experience at a multinational corporation strongly preferred;
- You have a demonstrated and proven ability to work well with Human Resources and business leaders, leveraging strong analytical and conceptual skills to be effective at building a consensus among leaders;
- You enjoy collaborating with colleagues to achieve a shared goal;
- You are a creative and strategic thinker who possesses excellent business sense and judgment;
- You are committed to driving diversity and inclusion through the advice you provide;
- You are a practical and enthusiastic problem-solver who is confident, mature, flexible, and calm under fire and can work independently in a dynamic, fast-changing environment;
- You are able to connect the dots to provide advice that considers the context and unintended consequences as well as the specific legal issue at hand;
- You have a passion for employment law and keep up to date on developments;
- You are a well-rounded, engaging, and personable individual with a fun sense of humor who encourages others and provides thought leadership for a growing technology business; and
- You demonstrate the highest degree of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- People management experience
- Some international employment law experience
- Some immigration and mobility experience
This job opportunity is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsorship by VMware.
Please apply to this role by clicking: https://bit.ly/R2004614