Position: Senior Corporate Counsel – Channel
Location: Broomfield, CO; Atlanta, GA; Austin, TX; Reston, VA
Description: As a result of VMware’s continued expansion, we have an opening for a new attorney role based in the United States. We are looking for a talented, self-motivated, and proactive commercial lawyer with a strong competition law background, who can add measurable business impact by acting as a trusted advisor to VMware’s business teams with a specific focus on the Channel. The person will be based in VMware’s offices in either Broomfield, Austin, Atlanta or Reston, and report to the Assistant General Counsel & Director, Partner Sales Legal Team. The primary job responsibility is to provide practical and innovative legal advice on a broad range of commercial and compliance matters to internal business clients with a specific focus on the Channel. As a member of the wider Commercial Legal Group, this person will also have the opportunity to be involved in legal projects and longer-term department strategies.
- Provide support to route to market business owners (e.g. Distribution, OEM, Cloud Provider, Resell), Global program teams (e.g. Partner Programs, Incentives, Channel Compliance), Channel sales & the worldwide Commercial Legal team to provide general advice and counsel and draft, review and negotiate a broad range of complex commercial agreements with our Channel Partners & Distributors involving the sale of software licenses, hardware, and cloud services.
- Acting as a trusted advisor to the Channel leadership & associated business teams and provide ongoing counsel while bringing ideas that help define broader business strategy and direction.
- Regularly liaise with & support our Regional Commercial Legal Teams (AMER, APJ, EMEA) & Compliance teams on Channel & related competition law matters.
- Collaborate and partner effectively with internal business clients to advise on a wide range of legal topics relevant to the Channel with a specific focus on competition & anti-trust matters. Provide interpretation of terms and conditions and make practical and pragmatic recommendations based on a risk analysis, ensuring adherence to company policies including revenue recognition.
- Act as a fiduciary for the company. Work in collaboration with Regional Commercial Legal Teams and the Ethics & Compliance functions to emphasize and foster a culture of integrity and compliance. Identify and drive awareness around changes to the legislative and regulatory landscape that may have an impact on VMware’s operations specifically in the competition/anti-trust area, including developing and delivering training to in-house business clients.
- Take responsibility for projects initiated by both the legal department and the VMware business as appropriate.
Contact: Christine Kapaklis
- A qualified lawyer licensed to practice in the United States.
- Minimum of 12 years’ experience with significant experience providing advice/guidance regarding Antitrust/Competition law issues, preferably in the Technology sector, either with a software/IT company, or in a law firm with competence in supporting software or IT companies with significant Channel related experience. We will consider the applications of candidates who fall outside of this range but who have the relevant experience. An in-depth understanding of relevant competition law legislation and its application to VMware’s business is essential.
- Demonstrable experience in commercial law, experience in reviewing, drafting, managing and negotiating a wide variety of international commercial contracts in the IT sector, with an emphasis on channel agreements, software licensing, hardware sales, and cloud service provider agreements.
- Knowledge or experience in privacy and/or cybersecurity matters would be considered an asset.
- Negotiator with strong influencing skills who focuses on client satisfaction and can plan, manage and conduct negotiations on a non-confrontational win-win basis.
- Problem solver with ability to quickly and concisely analyze legal issues and help to develop innovative solutions that achieve a successful commercial outcome whilst protecting the company from risk.
- Strong business acumen and a familiarity with GAAP rules and revenue recognition issues.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability and desire to collaborate in a high energy and innovative legal team.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently, juggle multiple priorities, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced high-growth environment. Ability to focus and drive projects from the start through to conclusion.
- Highest degree of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- Fluency in English is essential.
This job opportunity is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsorship by VMware.
Please apply by clicking: http://bit.ly/R1916037