Position: Senior Attorney (Labor & Employment)
Location: San Antonio, TX; Tampa, FL; Phoenix, AZ; Charlotte, NC; Colorado Springs, CO
Description: We are currently seeking a talented Sr Attorney (Labor & Employment) for either our San Antonio, Texas, Tampa, Florida, Phoenix, Arizona, Charlotte, North Carolina or Colorado Springs, Colorado USAA locations.
In this position you will be responsible for providing legal counsel to business unit leadership within USAA by identifying and analyzing legal issues and communicating effective legal advice. Proactively engages with business clients to better understand USAA’s strategic and operational objectives. Engages and collaborates with internal partners within business units and the Chief Legal Office. Works independently on matters of significance to the organization, has in-depth experienced knowledge and the proven ability to lead efforts to resolve sophisticated issues.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
Independently provides legal counsel to senior leadership to support business objectives and lead regulatory, compliance and litigation risk to USAA.
Leads complex legal assignments with a high level of business impact and delivers appropriate solutions.
Proactively identifies and leads existing and emerging legal and other risks that stem from business activities, in alignment with USAAs legal risk appetite. Ensures risks are effectively measured, supervised and controlled. Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures.
Effectively communicates with partners and varying levels of leadership in both verbal and written forms. Produces clear and concise legal positions involving highly sophisticated issues.
Proactively collaborates across USAA and the Chief Legal Office to mitigate risk.
Proactively monitors and analyzes changes in laws, regulations and industry and advises appropriate organizational leadership of such changes in a timely manner. Anticipates potential or future legal and operational issues that present a risk to the organization and proactively engages with others to identify potential solutions.
Regularly provides guidance to more junior attorneys and serves as a resource to others in the Chief Legal Office.
Provides leadership through cross-functional projects that have a material impact to USAA.
Effectively leads outside counsel to acquire legal advice.
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited school
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required.
- Licensed and in good standing to practice law in one state or a territory of the USA
- 8 years of relevant experience with at least 7 years of experience as a practicing attorney.
- Proven ability to optimally collaborate with key resources and partners, influencing decisions and leading work to achieve strategic goals.
- Proven experience at a firm and/or in-house, focusing on employment law and working directly with business stakeholders.
- In-depth knowledge of labor and employment laws with the ability to strategically advise and influence appropriate decision makers and partners on various employment law matters, including hiring, performance management, terminations, severance, discrimination, wage and house issues, disability accommodations, policy development, implementation and enforcement, and other state and federal compliance issues
- Experience leading and/or providing oversight of employment-related litigation including arbitrations, mediations, administrative charges, and lawsuits.
- Strong leadership and teamwork skills and willingness to take on new responsibilities.
- Experience with labor and employment law within a financial services institution.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.