Position: Product & Technology Law Counsel
Location: Close to any of our offices. Hybrid role.
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
The Products and Technology Law Group supports products and services business units, the Office of the Chief Technology Officer and the Open Source Program Office. We are looking for a junior attorney with a background in intellectual property and products law to help support one or more of the products and services business units.
As a member junior member of the VMware PTLG team, your responsibilities will include:
- Developing a deep knowledge of VMware’s products and services and the responsible business unit’s objectives, strategies and challenges;
- Providing general advice on all legal matters such as privacy, intellectual property, employment, compliance and investigations, engaging legal specialists as needed;
- Handling strategic deals for the products and services teams other than customer and channel transactions;
- Assisting the business units’ compliance with privacy by design and other legal requirements such as export control including by performing privacy reviews of products and services;
- Providing backline support to the legal teams who handle customer and channel transactions and other legal functions such as compliance, HR and litigation;
- Monitoring legal trends and identifying compliance challenge and risks working with legal specialists to mitigate risk;
- Communicating updates to legal colleagues (and providing training as necessary) and proactively informing the legal team on business unit initiatives that may be relevant to their practice areas;
- Delivering training for the business unit on legal and technical topics;
- Identifying opportunities to scale legal support as it relates to the business including by leveraging our outsourced legal services provider, self-service and automation; and
- Supporting critical incident management processes relating to data privacy and security.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The legal team culture is one based on collaboration, creativity, accountability, and integrity. You will work closely with your colleagues but will be expected to take responsibility for ensuring that the client receives appropriate and timely legal support. The PTLG has regular meetings to facilitate sharing of information and for education on topics that may be of particular interest to the products and services teams. We also maintain a knowledge base and you will be expected to contribute by adding and curating content. You will have the opportunity to participate in manager and mentor 1:1, legal and company-wide trainings, and legal all-hands meetings.
What skills would make for a successful candidate?
- Background in or enthusiasm for learning technology. Preferably an engineering or computer science degree.
- Strong organizational and communication skills, time management skills, attention to detail and sense of urgency.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment and interact with management level personnel.
- Ability to think creatively, take ownership of tasks and adapt to changing business requirements.
- High level of accountability and integrity.
Where is this role located?
Flexible: The role is considered flexible and will be a mix of working from a local VMware office in the US and remote depending on your preferences and the arrangements determined with your future manager. You will be expected to live within a reasonable non-daily commute of the office.