Company: JPMorgan Chase & Co.
Position: Legal – Assistant General Counsel – Product & Transformation Legal Team – VP
Location: Plano, TX or Chicago, IL
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity.
The Legal Department of JPMorgan Chase & Co. is responsible for the provision of legal services to the corporation and is organized by practice groups that generally align with the organization of the firm’s lines of business and corporate staff areas. This structure encourages legal teams and businesses to discuss legal, regulatory and business developments effectively and in a timely manner.
Commercial Banking, one of the JPMorgan Chase & Co. businesses, delivers extensive industry knowledge, local expertise and dedicated service to more than 24,000 clients, including corporations, municipalities, financial institutions and not-for-profit organizations with annual revenue generally ranging from $20 million to $2 billion and nearly 35,000 real estate investors/owners. Commercial Banking offers a comprehensive set of financial products and services including credit, equipment finance, real estate finance, treasury services and provides clients with access to the investment banking services of J.P. Morgan.
We are seeking an attorney with digital, data and privacy experience who will be based in Plano, Texas. Initial responsibilities will include covering the digital and technology areas within Commercial Banking, and are expected to expand to provide legal support to the data analytics and privacy teams within Commercial Banking. This attorney will collaborate with subject matter experts across the bank on those topics.
Responsibilities will include:
- Issue-spotting and appropriately escalating risks including data and privacy, and concerns with new or existing products, services or projects with a digital or other technology component.
- Providing strategic, commercially pragmatic and transparent advice to business clients on legal issues associated with digital aspects of a product or service.
- Drafting and simplifying product documents to address digital usage, and analyzing confidentiality, data use and privacy-related provisions.
- Partnering closely with the Transformation, Digital and Technology Commercial Banking business teams to understand the digital strategy and apply a legal lens, enabling early escalation and resolution of any issues or concerns.
- Participating in cross line of business initiatives/practice groups on issues involving digital, technology, data and privacy.
- Assessing proposed uses of data, and advising CB business and data analytics team on potential risks with proposed data uses.
- Driving consistency and collaboration across CB Legal on advice related to digital initiatives, data and privacy.
- Collaborating with functional partners regarding operational and regulatory risk and control issues.
- Driving projects related to new product offerings, regulatory matters and other business initiatives that have a digital, data or privacy component.
The preferred location for this position is Plano, TX, but consideration will be made to well qualified candidates in Chicago, IL.
Contact:Candidates interested in the posting can apply via the following link: https://jpmchase.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=190070692&lang=en
- JD or educational equivalent required with at least 5 years of post-JD practicing experience at a law firm and/or in-house legal department
- Must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment
- Experience handling matters involving digital, technology, data or privacy
- Understanding of core commercial banking products and services including treasury services, funds transfer, payments and secured lending is a plus
- Interest in learning about and advising on emerging technologies and comfort in advising on evolving areas of law
- Knowledge or familiarity with regulations applicable in the digital, technology, data and privacy space (e.g., ESIGN, UETA, ADA, GDPR)
- Prior experience in the legal department at a large bank, other financial services company or financial technology company is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with demonstrated ability to listen and drive results in a team setting
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interact effectively with clients, colleagues and other members of the legal department
- Effective and inefficient problem solver; excellent organizational skills with strong ability to prioritize and manage multiple issue at one time
- Self-starter with strong analytical and collaborative skills; able to deliver high-quality results under tight deadlines
- Successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance prior to commencement of employment