Position: Investment Attorney
Location: Boston, MA
Description: Do you want to be part of a team that encourages your growth, supports your ambitions and makes it a priority for you to reach your goals? Is helping people part of who you are? At MassMutual, we help millions of people find financial freedom, offer financial protection and plan for the future. We do this by building trust with our customers by being knowledgeable problem solvers and prioritize their needs above all else. We Live Mutual.
This attorney will be an integral part of MassMutual’s Corporate Law team, which is responsible for supporting the legal needs of MassMutual’s corporate units, including the corporate development, investment management, venture capital and corporate finance areas. A newly created role, this is an excellent opportunity in MassMutual’s Law Department to work with cutting edge investment management and venture capital teams which are collectively responsible for over $200 billion of assets as well as innovative capital management and corporate development teams. This attorney will interact with a sophisticated team of investment and finance professionals on transactional activity and other related matters. In this role, you will be responsible for analyzing, negotiating, documenting and closing various investment and finance related transactions, with a particular focus on privately negotiated transactions and other bespoke investment, strategic and capital management/financing opportunities.
REPORTS TO: Head of Corporate Law
- Provide strategic, regulatory and transactional legal support to the investment management, venture capital, corporate finance, corporate development and enterprise risk management groups.
- Assist investment management team by analyzing, documenting, negotiating and closing third-party investment transactions, including complex secured financing transactions, venture capital, private equity and hedge fund investments.
- Assist corporate finance team by analyzing, structuring, documenting, negotiating and closing internal and external finance and capital-related transactions.
- Advise the corporate development team with respect to mergers, acquisitions and divestitures in addition to strategic minority shareholder transactions.
- Negotiate investment management agreements with MassMutual’s investment advisers with respect to separate account mandates.
- Advise on various internal investment policies and delegation documents governing MassMutual’s investment and financing activities.
- Manage external counsel with respect to certain transactional activity.
- Be familiar with and advise on investment restrictions and disclosure obligations under various insurance laws and internal governance documents.
- JD from an accredited U.S. law school, a member of the Bar in good standing (any state), and the ability to become licensed for in-house practice in Massachusetts if not now licensed in Massachusetts.
- In-depth understanding and experience (5 to 10 years) acquired in a top law firm and/or corporate environment – financial services preferred, working on investment and/or finance transactions (preference for experience with secured financing transactions).
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, research and verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to successfully deal with internal colleagues, external counsel and other third parties at senior levels.
- Strong client relationship skills and the ability to consult with all levels of management.
- A self-starter who is business-focused and can operate under high pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to step outside comfort zone and exercise sound judgment.
- Strong sense of curiosity, initiative and independence.
- Detail-oriented and flexible with a strong work ethic and team-player mentality.
- Authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship now or in the future.