Company: Bath & Body Works
Position: Director, Legal Operations
Location: Columbus, OH
Description: The Director, Legal Operations for Bath & Body Works will be key in creating processes and practices to improve the day-to-day efficiency and effectiveness of the legal team, facilitate change, and control costs. This individual will drive the implementation and use of proper systems, processes, and tools to deliver legal services in the most efficient and cost-effective manner, including supporting both internal and external resource management. This position will report to the Chief Legal Officer and will work closely with the legal team and business stakeholders at all levels..
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Legal Technology – Enhance existing and develop new tools to enable streamlined team collaboration and workflow automation within the legal team and among business partners
- Lead optimal utilization of technology by the Legal team, though planning, selection, procurement and/or development, training, and adoption of key technology resources.
- Manage system deployments, enhancements, and related process guidelines
- Improve data integrity and analytical reporting capacity
- Troubleshoot equipment/systems issues with technology teams
- Champion the usage of technology
Outside Counsel / External Resource Management – Facilitate the management process for sourcing, negotiating, selecting, and managing law firms and external service providers through defined processes and reporting
- Develop and enforce processes and policies to manage outside counsel usage and spend
- Champion the planning and implementation of strategic outside counsel initiatives and support active law firm management
- Manage law firm matter budget review process
- Provide analysis and recommendations with respect to alternative fee arrangements
- Manage reporting and analyses of legal services spend
- Manage logistics and analysis for RFPs and competitive bidding process
- Develop and oversee process and policies to manage other external resources, such as auditors, consultants, and vendors
Knowledge Management – Facilitate transparent and readily accessible legal process and operations information to support legal team
- Develop an efficient and effective information governance program for all legal content and information
- Create processes for capturing, distributing, and effectively using legal knowledge and information, from work products (such as legal memos, emails, and contracts) to ensure efficient use of prior experience.
- Assist legal team with Continuing Legal Education resources
- Manage legal knowledge subscriptions and professional association memberships
- Track trends in in-house legal department best practices, and collect relevant benchmarking to inform department initiatives
Project & Process Management – Manage Legal Department projects from inception to completion
- Define and drive strategic and operational initiatives with on-time and on-budget results
- Directly manage identified projects to support the strategic objectives of the Legal Operations function.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners and teams including technology, finance, human resources, risk, and various other teams
- Implement effective Change Management programs and procedures
Financial Planning – Prepare accurate legal budgets, forecasts, and monitor spend
- Assist with the development of the legal budget, business cases and other funding requests for Legal Department initiatives
- Capture full matter costs to aid in active spend management and monitor operational costs for improved budget forecasting accuracy
- Identify and track metrics, KPIs, and legal operations reporting to better inform decision-making, including matter and work product analyses
- 7-10 years of experience in Legal Department operations and/or managing department operations preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience, required.
- Understanding of technical systems and tools utilized by law departments to efficiently manage its provision of legal services, including contract and knowledge management systems.
- Experience in workflow automation tools, matter management, ebilling, and document/contract management systems required.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage and develop direct reports
- Detailed planning and organizational skills to manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Strong collaboration skills, with the skill to build relationships within a team, across departments, and with external stakeholders.
- Ability to identify opportunities, define requirements and implement process improvement.
- Attention to detail with excellent time management/prioritization skills
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word