Position: Director and Assistant General Counsel, Americas Employment Law
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Description: We are seeking an experienced employment law attorney to join our Legal Department as Director and Assistant General Counsel, Employment Law. The successful candidate will join a fun and hard-working team of global employment attorneys who work closely with Human Resources, Employee Relations and Global Ethics and Compliance to support the company’s various businesses and functions. This position will be based in Palo Alto, CA, and will report to the Senior Director and Associate General Counsel, Global Employment and Immigration Law.
Your responsibilities include:
Provide practical and sound legal advice and counsel to Human Resources and all business on all legal issues concerning the employer/employee relationship, including but not limited to hiring, performance management, discrimination, harassment, wage and hour, non-competes, leaves and accommodations, terminations and reductions in force, as well as due diligence for M&A; contractor and co-employment issues; day-to-day legal advice as well as strategic projects and initiatives; training HR, management and legal on employment law topics; review of sales commission policies and advise on disputes; respond to attorney demand letters and agency matters, including government-initiated inquiries and audits; manage and partner with outside counsel in employment litigation matters; negotiate separation agreements; provide counsel on various human resources policies and programs, including diversity and inclusion efforts; provide employment law support for service contracts, M&A, integration and divestiture efforts.
In addition, this position will be the lead employment lawyer of VMware’s AMER (Canada, US and Latin America) region; and you will lead and/or participate in special projects within the Legal Department, including those focused on improving and enhancing processes, policies, and transactional support.
Contact: Christine Kapaklis, firstname.lastname@example.org
We are seeking a forward-thinking, strategic, employment law attorney, who demonstrates the following:
- You hold a JD from an accredited U.S. law school and are a member in good standing of a U.S. State bar
- You have a proven track record in-house with a multinational corporation
- 12+ years specializing in US employment law in house and law firm or government
- Experience partnering with employment counsel outside of the U.S., and handling legal issues in Canada and one or more country in Latin America.
- You possess excellent negotiating, drafting, and influencing skills, and are an excellent communicator and trainer
- You love to collaborate with colleagues to achieve a shared goal
- You are a strong critical thinker who possesses excellent business sense and judgment
- You are committed to driving diversity and inclusion both as a leader and in the advice you provide
- Proven leadership skills
- You are a practical and enthusiastic problem-solver who is confident, mature, flexible and calm under fire and can work independently in a dynamic, fast-changing environment
- You are able to connect the dots to provide advice that considers the context and unintended consequences as well as the specific legal issue at hand
- You have a passion for employment law and keep up to date on developments
- You are a well-rounded, engaging and personable individual with a sense of humor who encourages others and provides thought leadership for a growing technology business
- You demonstrate the highest degree of personal and professional integrity and ethics
Our team looks for individuals who are passionate about technology, innovate in everything they do, and thrive when they work with a team toward a shared goal. In addition to the above, we would like you to have:
- In-house experience in the tech sector, with an emphasis on software, service, cloud and mobility transactions and programs.
- Previous experience as a people manager.
- Some U.S. Immigration law knowledge or experience
- Some ERISA and executive comp experience
This job opportunity is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsorship by VMware.
Please click on the link to apply: http://bit.ly/R1913890