Description: The Sales, Marketing and CCA Group of the General Motors Legal Staff is looking for an energetic, qualified attorney to support its sales and marketing clients and the GM brand channels (Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick & GMC) with transactional legal support pertaining to GM’s relationship with its dealers. The position will include comprehensive support of dealer transactions, including but not limited to the drafting of transactional documents implementing a wide variety of transactions between GM and its dealer network, dealer workouts and resolution of non-litigation disputes with dealers. The work requires creativity and innovation in helping design and implement business strategies and dealer network solutions for the future. The practice is fun, diverse, fast-paced and dynamic.
- Negotiate and draft agreements designed to improve GM’s dealer network, including but not limited to the following:
- Dealership stock, asset and real property acquisitions and dispositions;
- Agreements regarding the establishment, re-establishment and/or termination of dealerships;
- Agreements regarding dealership facility construction, improvements and relocations;
- Agreements regarding changes in dealer operators;
- Agreements regarding exclusivity, site control and/or GM’s rights of first refusal;
- Agreements focused on increasing dealer performance; and
- Agreements memorializing the settlement of disputes and protests.
- Provide counsel to GM sales and field personnel under GM’s Dealer Sales and Service Agreement and state laws governing the relationship between an OEM and its dealers.
- Support the development and evolution of the dealer network to adapt to GM’s mobility, safety, ride sharing and autonomous vehicle initiatives.
- Assist in the coordination of legal advice to support dealer network activities within GM.
- Draft and negotiate contracts with vendors and suppliers providing services to the GM sales and marketing organization.
- Assist in the development of training for the sales and marketing client on transactional matters and developments in dealer laws.
- Support client programs, incentives and initiatives relating to its dealer relationships and dealer network.
- Law degree and ability to obtain Michigan law license is required.
- 3-7 years of experience in a law firm counseling or transactional practice.
- Experience with franchise/distribution agreements, retail distribution and brand issues preferred but not required
Innovation & Creativity:
Is open-minded and willing to consider different ways of doing things. Fosters an environment for new ideas and approaches to enhance the business. Amplifies and leverages differences and various perspectives. Comfortable with taking calculated risks to improve the business. Guides the organization through change, ensuring strategic focus. Projects and envisions how potential ideas will play out in execution. Inspires others to get involved and solve problems.
Motivates and inspires a diverse group of employees and stakeholders by translating corporate objectives and priorities into meaningful and tangible goals, action plans and benefits for the Company. Utilizes a straightforward, approachable, collaborative, team-oriented approach to build trust, relying on influencing skills rather than authority. Walks in the clients’ shoes and speaks their language. Constantly looks at the business from the outside in, based upon a clear understanding of client needs, preferences, interests, and decision-making criteria. Builds coalitions to effectively execute strategy. Initiates and builds enduring, trusting relationships with clients for the common good of customers and Company. Utilizes ethical and persuasive techniques to influence constituencies toward win/win solutions whenever possible.