Position: Counsel, Privacy & Legal Information Security
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Description: We are looking for a passionate, collaborative, and experienced attorney to join our dynamic team in the Privacy and Legal Information Security Group. This role will report to the Deputy General Counsel, Privacy and Legal Information Security and will support Comcast Cable’s global privacy and information security program by providing excellent legal counsel and subject matter expertise. Strong familiarity with the relevant legal and regulatory landscape in this area is required, as well as significant contract negotiation and transactional experience, as well as providing counsel on U.S. and international data privacy and information security laws. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing team in a dynamic, international company.
- Handle privacy and data protection-related inquiries from a wide range of groups across the company and provide actionable advice and legal counsel to facilitate privacy and data protection compliance.
- Evaluate various Comcast programs and initiatives considering applicable privacy/data protection requirements.
- Assist in the creation, maintenance and implementation of policies, processes, data inventories and records of processing, and associated documentation relating to processing of data.
- Carry out Privacy Impact Assessments relating to new business initiatives involving processing of personal information.
- Monitor and summarize relevant legislative developments, case law, regulatory guidance and enforcement actions in the U.S., UK, EU, Canada, China, and other international jurisdictions as needed. Consult with and supervise outside counsel to develop legal strategies and resolve issues in routine matters.
- Review, draft and negotiate various types of agreements (e.g., vendor/service provider agreements, customer agreements, data processing, data transfer, and data usage agreements, etc.).
- Conduct awareness and training efforts as needed and/or required to increase employee understanding of company privacy policies, data handling practices and procedures, and legal obligations.
- Educate others about and help to implement various requirements driven by privacy and data protection laws, regulations, standards and best practices, such as the California Consumer Privacy Protection Act, General Data Protection Regulation, ePrivacy Directive, and self-regulatory organizations such as DAA and NAI.
- Operate with a moderate level of supervision with no direct management responsibilities.
- Carry out/perform duties consistent with strategic plans and directives as determined by more senior level management and attorneys.
- Consistent exercise of sound judgment and discretion in all matters.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Skills and Experience Required:
- At least 3-5 years combined legal experience at a top law firm and/or in-house legal department, with at least 4 years of privacy/data protection experience.
- Juris Doctor (JD), and CIPP certification strongly preferred.
- Member in good standing of PA state bar, or with ability to obtain full or limited in-house license in PA.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with U.S. and EU privacy and information security laws, regulations and standards, including GDPR, ePrivacy Directive, CCPA, U.S. state and federal data privacy, security, breach notification, consumer protection laws, regulations and proposed legislation, and self-regulatory organizations such as DAA and NAI. Awareness of the privacy provisions of the Cable Act and the Communications Act preferred.
- Demonstrated transactional experience, including reviewing, drafting and negotiating privacy and data protection contract terms and agreements, data processing, usage, and/or transfer agreements.
- Experience with conducting privacy impact assessments and advising on applicable legal requirements.
- Strong academic credentials.
- Excellent drafting, negotiating, problem solving, and communications skills.
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues, management, and operations personnel.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines with consistently high-quality results.
- Self-motivated and independent, but able to discern when matters should be escalated and when further guidance is needed.
- Ability to translate legal requirement into practical guidance and formulate creative solutions to accomplish the company’s objectives.
- Ability to work independently with moderate supervision.
- Sound judgment, strong work ethic, excellent problem solving and organization skills, practicality, a focus on business outcomes and flexibility to manage multiple matters simultaneously.
- Ability to travel.