Description: The Counsel (Logistics) position supports GM’s Global Purchasing & Supply Chain organization and specifically, the supply chain and logistics function. As a member of the Legal Staff, Counsel (Logistics) manages his/her cases and other assignments in an efficient and effective manner. Counsel creates and manages a budget for all matters handled by outside counsel and supports a culture of legal compliance and excellence through his/her work. Counsel is critical to helping move the Legal Staff towards successful completion of objectives. The role will require an ability to enable business objectives through innovative legal advice for complex matters relating to procurement of logistics services and supply chain management. The ideal candidate will also need to develop and enhance process improvements and conduct legal training in support of GPSC business activities.
Subject Matter Requirements:
- Drafting, negotiating, and interpreting agreements for global logistics services for all transportation modes, including truck, air, sea, and rail;
- Developing strategic and innovative contractual relationships with suppliers to enable GM’s relationship with key suppliers;
- Standardizing and improving processes, developing training and integrating legal function with business clients, and
- Working closely with the GPSC team and other relevant subject matter experts to develop and implement processes and programs for regulatory and company policy compliance.
As a member of the GM Legal Staff, Counsel will strive to be a role model for the Company by delivering high performance legal services with high integrity. The GM Legal Staff’s objectives are to deliver timely, best-in-class business advisory and legal services in close collaboration with business partners to accomplish their objectives while simultaneously protecting GM’s high standards of legal, ethical, and financial integrity. Each member of the Legal Staff, including Counsel, is expected to adhere to these standards:
- Workplace and Product Safety
- Compliance & Ethics
- Strategic Partnering
- Responsive & Accountable
- Real-time Transparency and Communication
- Superior Work Product Quality
- Strong Work Ethic
- Controlling Costs
- Company and Industry Knowledge
- Community Involvement and Professional Development
- A minimum of 5 years of legal experience focused on procurement of logistics services for all transportation modes, including a working knowledge of the applicable regulatory framework. .
- Ability to collaborate across a number of legal groups and business functions and to demonstrate leadership through teamwork.
- Ability to develop and implement process improvement initiatives to improve efficiency of legal and business activities.
- Initiative, integrity, resilience, and ability to manage multiple large-scale projects.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills particularly in clearly and concisely describing complex legal issues to business clients, management, and legal colleagues.
- Collaborative, with strong ability to build relationships, gain credibility, and partner with others.
- Law degree from an accredited college or university
- Admitted to practice in at least one jurisdiction in the United States and, if not admitted in Michigan, the ability to qualify for in-house counsel status in Michigan