Description: This role calls for an exceptional legal practitioner possessed of excellent judgment, solid character, and personal integrity. Reporting to the Assistant General Counsel, Corporate Development & GCCX, this Attorney will assist in the negotiations of complex transactions and will provide legal advice and business counsel to the Company on a global scale.
We’re located at GM’s Global Headquarters in Detroit, Michigan, a city in the midst of transformation fueled by innovation and opportunity. We provide competitive benefits, compensation, and relocation to Detroit.
The role includes collaborating with Legal Staff colleagues worldwide, and managing external legal counsel, using a collegial, team-oriented approach. This role requires a high degree of organization and process-orientation.
This Attorney will have responsibility to manage multiple deals simultaneously and work effectively across internal functions and businesses. Specific responsibilities include—
- Developing a thorough understanding of and familiarity with GM’s businesses, products, future goals, and the regulatory schemes under which it operates.
- Handling effectively work related to the Company’s acquisitions, divestitures and strategic partnerships on a global basis.
- Structuring, negotiating, reviewing, and drafting a variety of agreements for internal and external corporate transactions.
- Reporting to the Assistant General Counsel, Corporate Development and GCCX and coordinating with other Legal Staff colleagues around the world. Managing outside counsel and local counsel in a variety of jurisdictions around the globe.
- Supporting other Legal Staff members in complex commercial contracting and general corporate matters, on a project management basis, creating an “engaged” team culture.
- Law degree from an accredited law school with excellent academics and membership in good standing in at least one state bar; graduation from nationally recognized law schools a strong plus.
- Active license to practice law in Michigan or at least one other US jurisdiction, and (if not admitted in Michigan) the ability to qualify for in-house practice in Michigan.
- Transactional training in a large law firm is preferred. In-house experience with complex and international strategic transactions is also highly desired.
- Candidates will possess at least five to eight years of legal practice in sophisticated transactional work.
- Significant experience negotiating large scale complex commercial agreements, including mergers and acquisitions, supply, distribution, manufacturing or codevelopment agreements is required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple large-scale projects simultaneously is required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a large portfolio of transactions in an effective manner is required.
- Candidates must have a self-starter personality, be a quick learner with strong internal motivation, and be possessed of initiative, integrity, and resilience.
- Strong communication (written and oral) skills are required as are critical and analytical thinking.
- Willingness and ability to travel, internationally as necessary, is required.
- In addition, the successful candidate must exhibit the following Individual Characteristics
- Organizational Agility: Knowledgeable about how organizations work; knows how to get things done both through formal channels and the informal network; understanding the origin and reasoning behind key policies, practices and procedures; understands the culture of organizations.
- Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Effective Negotiator: This role requires hands-on negotiation for complex transactional work, and therefore, being an effective negotiator with both arms-length counterparties and future business partners is required.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
This position requires the ability to legal operate a motor vehicle on a regular basis.