Position: Counsel, Content Acquisition Legal
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Description: Responsible for providing legal support and knowledge in an area of legal specialty for routine day-to-day matters affecting one or more of the business units and/or corporate headquarters. Provides advice and recommendations on issues that have or may have a non-material impact on business activities and operations. Operates with a moderate level of supervision and regarded as a subject matter expert. Researches legal principles and precedents. Supervises outside counsel on routine matters within the scope of subject matter expertise.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide range of commercial agreements, including, but not limited to, complex content acquisition and distribution agreements, services and other agreements for cable, broadcast, Internet and advanced broadband products and services and related businesses.
- Manage litigation in content and programming areas, as well as compliance with various regulatory obligations.
- Provide legal advice to Cable Division executives on day to day licensing and content matters, including licensing and regulatory issues that relate to traditional cable offerings, new media products, and other distribution and content offerings.
- Provides legal counsel in a particular subject area of expertise and/or to a specific business unit or units. Dispenses legal knowledge and expertise impacting business operations. Works closely with front line management and staff.
- Performs legal research when and as necessary to resolve legal issues and determine the appropriate course of action regarding a particular issue/case. Consults with and supervises outside counsel to develop legal strategies and resolve issues in routine matters.
- Operates with a moderate level of supervision with no direct management responsibilities.
- Carries out/performs duties consistent with strategic plans and directives as determined by more senior level management and attorneys.
- Consistent exercise of sound judgment and discretion in all matters.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and overtime as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum 3-5 years combined experience with a recognized law firm and/or corporate legal department experience.
- Familiarity with content licensing (including linear cable television licensing, video application licensing and other video and music licensing), new media content technologies and systems, cable and broadband businesses, Internet and e-commerce law (including transactional and subscription-based offerings), and commercial agreements, retransmission consent, and copyright a strong plus, but not mandatory.
- Excellent drafting, negotiating, problem solving, and communications skills.
- Familiarity with litigation, antitrust, FCC and FTC regulatory, and entertainment law a strong plus.
- Ability to work effectively with management and operations personnel, simultaneously manage multiple projects and meet deadlines with consistently high quality work product.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as ability to work cooperatively with small teams as the circumstances may require.
- Comfortable with spanning across practice groups, gathering feedback and spotting issues outside primary area of responsibility.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Law Degree. Top 20% of class and law review preferred.
- Member of a state bar in good standing, and eligible for Pennsylvania Bar or Pennsylvania Limited In-House Corporate Counsel License.