Company: Microsoft Corporation
Position: Attorney Investigator
Location: Redmond, WA
Description: Our mission is to empower everyone, everywhere to achieve more.
The world is diverse and we can better empower everyone by representing everyone. We need to be open to learning our own biases and changing our behaviors so we can tap into the collective power of everyone at Microsoft. We don’t just value differences, we seek them out, we invite them in. We want all our employees to feel that Microsoft is not only a place where they are included, but a place where they belong. As a result, our ideas will be bigger, our products will be better and our customers will be better served.
As part of the Workplace Investigations Team you will contribute to this mission by ensuring that our employees work in a culture that is inclusive and fair. You will conduct impartial and thorough investigations with respect and empathy for your colleagues. This work is important in closing the gap between the culture we seek and the day-to-day realities that some might experience. As a Workplace Investigations Attorney, you will be an integral part of the leadership in continuing to transform our culture to the one we aspire to.
- Independently lead and manage multiple, comprehensive and timely investigations of complex employee relations issues in a fast-paced environment.
- Conduct complex, professional interviews, often involving senior management, prepare investigation reports, and convey ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Exercise considerable judgment and discretion in scenarios that are complex and highly sensitive, consulting with legal counsel as needed.
- Make determinations regarding company policies related to equal employment opportunity, anti-harassment and anti-discrimination, and family and romantic relationship conflicts of interest.
- Partner with HR to ensure investigation of employee relations issues in a comprehensive and timely manner.
- Effectively and professionally communicate regarding investigation progress and findings.
- Respond proactively to the tracking, trending, and analysis of employee relations issues.
- Conduct trainings to increase capabilities on identification and appropriate handling of employee relations matters.
- Partner with other internal investigative teams.
- Collaborate with the team regarding processes and best practices to improve investigation efficiencies and effectiveness
- 7+ years of legal work experience in the areas of employment law or workplace investigations /complaints
- Juris Doctorate (JD) required
- Current BAR membership preferred but not required.
- Familiar with EEOC complaints or experience conducting investigations
- Experience conducting and consulting on complex workplace investigations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of human resources practices and federal and state employment laws.
- Experience responding to EEO charges.
- Experience developing and/or delivering EEO or employment law training.
- Prior experience at a law firm working with technology clients on employment/investigation issues or experience in a technology company working on employment/investigation issues