Position: Associate Intellectual Property Counsel
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Description: VMware is looking for a top-rate attorney to join its Intellectual Property Legal Team. This position will be based in Palo Alto, CA. Our department is full of smart, energetic and business-savvy legal professionals, and equally important, genuinely good people. We love to add attorneys who maintain the highest professional standards and who are proud to bring their true selves to work each day.
Core job functions:
- You will assist with all intellectual property aspects of our M&A and investment transactions. This will involve close collaboration with our M&A Legal Team and our Corporate Development Team and you will serve as the IP team’s main liaison with these teams. Representative tasks include:
- Advising and briefing M&A extended teams on IP issues arising from M&A and investment transactions
- Drafting, developing and negotiating IP transactional terms
- Leading IP investigations, including conducting interviews and reviewing documents including technology agreements
- You will assist with our intellectual property litigation. This will offer the opportunity to work closely with our Litigation Team and our IP outside counsel. With associated training, representative tasks would include:
- Developing non-infringement and invalidity positions
- Developing technology narratives
- You will assist with our patent analysis efforts, including identifying patent assets in VMware’s portfolio and tracking competitive analysis from a patent perspective
- You will collaborate with and support other VMware lawyers with respect to various intellectual-propertyrelated issues, including with respect to tax, HR and commercial agreements
- You will serve as a technology resource to the rest of the VMware legal team, including by presenting and developing training materials relating to our products and technology.
- Anything else that gets thrown your way as needed to support a highly dynamic, innovative company.
Contact: Christine Kapaklis
- 2-4 years of legal experience with big law firm or in-house global enterprise company, focusing on IP transactions, litigation or prosecution.
- Qualified to practice before the USPTO
- Some experience analyzing patents either from a transactional, litigation or prosecution perspective
- Some experience in the software and/or IT industries
- Knowledge of general intellectual property laws
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- JD from an accredited US law school
- Member of a State Bar and in good standing
Our team looks for individuals who embody our values of humility, compassion, collaboration above isolationism, respectfulness, integrity, and good-natured fun. Additionally, we would value:
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering
- Patent prosecution experience
- Consistent good judgment and ability to apply legal knowledge to help create practical business solutions
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and tasks in a fast-paced environment
This job opportunity is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsorship by VMware.
Please apply by clicking: http://bit.ly/R1914898.