Company: American International Group, Inc.
Position: Associate General Counsel and Assistant Corporate Secretary
Location: New York, NY
Description: The Corporate Legal Group of American International Group, Inc. (NYSE: AIG) is seeking an Associate General Counsel and Assistant Corporate Secretary to join its legal department in New York.
The AGC’s primary role will be to advise and assist with corporate governance matters, SEC and other regulatory disclosures (including Section 16 filings), and assisting the Corporate Secretary with corporate governance and advising the board of directors of a Fortune 75 public company. This position manages a team of 8 individuals comprised of attorneys and paraprofessionals.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Advise on legal issues with respect to corporate governance
- Advise on shareholder management and assist with shareholder engagement
- Provide legal advice and oversee establishment of policies to support subsidiary governance as well as ensure corporate compliance by parent-managed subsidiaries
- Advise generally on U.S. corporate law, SEC disclosure and regulatory matters
- Draft and advise on AIG ’34 Act disclosure filings
- Oversee administration of AIG’s Insider Trading Policy
- Oversee Section 16 filings for directors and executive officers
- Advise on executive compensation issues and oversee preparation and filing of annual proxy statement, including legal advice on inclusion of any shareholder proposals
- Oversee preparations for the annual shareholder meeting
- Advise on Regulation FD and Regulation G issues, including material press releases, investor presentations and other Corporate Communications and Investor Relations matters
- Support Marketing, Corporate Communications, Investor Relations, Treasury and Finance teams
- Perform other related duties and ad hoc projects as required
Organizational Structure: This position will report to the Senior Vice President, Deputy General Counsel and Corporate Secretary for AIG.
The ideal candidate should have:
- 12+ years of legal experience with a major law firm or relevant in-house experience, with a demonstrated focus on corporate governance and securities disclosure
- Significant hands on experience managing corporate boards and advising on corporate governance topics
- Extensive SEC disclosure experience (both ’33 and ’34 Acts) – insurance industry specific experience a plus
- Top academic credentials and excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a strong focus on collaboration
- Proven leadership abilities
- Experience managing diverse high functioning teams
- JD required – Admitted to a US Bar (preferably NY)