Pitch Session Network
At the 2018 Creating Pathways to Diversity Conference, conference registrants who are in-house counsel, attorneys from law firms that are MCCA Members or representatives of legal service providers (non-law firms)* that are sponsoring the conference will have the opportunity to participate in MCCA’s 2nd Annual Pitch Session Network. This event provides a platform for diverse law firm attorneys and legal service providers to make meaningful connections with in-house counsel interested in legal services. These sessions will allow in-house counsel to connect with diverse law firm attorneys, diversify their service client portfolios and assist in holding law firms accountable for their diversity efforts. The Pitch Session Network directly addresses the issue of lack of diversity at the partner-level in law firms and brings us one step closer to achieving our vision to “make the next generation of legal leaders as diverse as the world we live in” a reality.
Eligible conference registrants interested in participating in the Pitch Session Network may complete an application form that will be made available as part of the 2018 Creating Pathways to Diversity registration process by taking the following steps:
- While in the registration portal, select “Pitch Session Network” from the conference agenda;
- Select the appropriate eligibility classification (e.g. MCCA IN-HOUSE COUNSEL MEMBERS, MCCA LAW FIRM MEMBERS, or LEGAL SERVICE PROVIDERS);
- After the Pitch Sessions Network is added to a registrant’s agenda, the registrant will be guided to complete the Pitch Session Network application form.
*Legal service providers (non-law firms) can participate in the Pitch Session Network as MCCA Creating Pathways to Diversity sponsors because they do not meet MCCA membership requirements. Law firms must be MCCA members to participate and cannot participate as sponsors.
Please contact Kevin Wong at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns regarding the MCCA Pitch Session Network.
When and where will the pitches take place?
The Pitch Session Network will be held during the during the 2018 Creating Pathways to Diversity Conference at the Hilton Midtown in New York City on October 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. While we will try our best to schedule the pitch sessions outside of any CLE sessions, the limited time and space may make it difficult for us to guarantee this.
Who may participate in the Pitch Session Network?
Any in-house counsel may participate in the Pitch Session Network at no cost. All law firm attorneys MUST be employees of law firms that are MCCA members (or pre-approved affiliate affinity organizations) and registered for the conference in order to participate in the Pitch Session Network. Legal service vendors (non-law firms) that are sponsors of the 2018 Creating Pathways to Diversity Conference may participate in the Pitch Session Network.
How will matches be made?
We will send relevant information received from the applications to interested in-house counsel with our recommendations of the diverse law firm attorney that match the requirements of the in-house counsel. In-house counsel will then choose which diverse law firm attorneys they are interested in meeting at the 2018 Creating Pathways to Diversity Conference. Diverse law firm attorney and in-house counsels will be able to decide which legal service providers they want to meet based on what services they are seeking.
Am I guaranteed a slot to pitch?
Pitch sessions are not guaranteed. Applications are carefully reviewed and are matched with in-house counsel that are willing to hear a pitch. Please be aware that there could be many reasons why an application did not receive a match, such as:
- There was no need for the type of service being pitched;
- In-house counsel has very specific needs; and/or
- In-house counsel was already aware of the services provided by the diverse attorney.
Due to the volume of applications received and for confidentiality reasons, we will not share why a particular match was not made.
Is there a cost to participate?
There is no cost to participate for in-house counsel. Law firm attorneys that are interested in participating in the Pitch Session Network must be employees of MCCA member law firms (or pre-approved affiliate affinity organizations) and registered for the 2018 Creating Pathways to Diversity Conference. For more information on registration, click here. Legal service vendors (non-law firms) must be 2018 Creating Pathways to Diversity Conference sponsors in order to participate in the Pitch Session Network. For more information on sponsorship, click here.
What is the level of seniority of the in-house participants?
The level of seniority of the in-house participants in the Pitch Session Network:
- Have direct responsibility for making decisions on hiring outside counsel;
- Have significant influence over selection of outside counsel; and
- Arrange for meetings with more senior counsel within their respective organizations.
May you bring other attorneys from the same MCCA Member Law Firm?
Attorneys may bring other attorneys from their MCCA Member Law Firm to the pitch session, ONLY IF ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS HAVE BEEN MET:
- Each proposed accompanying attorney is a confirmed registrant of the 2018 Creating Pathways to Diversity Conference;
- Each proposed accompanying attorney has completed the Pitch Session Network Application form;
- Each proposed accompanying attorney has the qualifications to meet the needs requested by the in-house counsel, and
- The in-house counsel taking the pitch consents to meeting with the proposed accompanying attorneys.
Anything else I should know about the Pitch Session Network?
Pitch Session Networks will be 30 minutes session time slots.
MCCA reserves the right to:
- Determine the availability of diverse law firm attorneys and in-house counsel applicants;
- Limit the number of diverse law firm attorneys to the in-house counsel participant; and
- Make recommendations to participating in-house counsel.
MCCA does not guarantee that the diverse law firm attorney that submit a submission for the Pitch Session Network will be selected to participate nor does the MCCA guarantee selection and participation in the Pitch Session Network will result in actual legal work.
Past Pitch Session Network Participants
- Chevron USA Inc.
- Corning Inc.
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
- Freddie Mac
- Honda North America
- State Farm Insurance Company
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.