Position: Counsel- CCAR
Company: Bank of New York Mellon
Location: New York City
Description: BNY Mellon is a global investments company dedicated to helping its clients manage and service their financial assets throughout the investment lifecycle. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, BNY Mellon delivers informed investment management and investment services in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments.
This attorney will work within the Office of Public Policy and Regulatory Affairs (“OPPRA”), focusing on advising the firm’s global finance and risk functions. Responsibilities will include capital, liquidity, and funding issues, capital planning, stress-testing, and liquidity risk management. Other responsibilities will include assisting in the development of new products and services, Dodd-Frank implementation, advising the firm’s securities investment portfolio, advising on capital and liquidity standards, as well as related advocacy efforts. This attorney will work closely with BNY Mellon’s Corporate Treasury division, Controllers group, Regulatory Reporting, Basel & Capital Adequacy, Government Affairs, Risk and Compliance, and other control functions, as well as the in-house legal team to identify and manage key regulatory issues related to the conduct of BNY Mellon business affecting the firm’s finance and risk units and to develop strategies to implement changes as required by regulatory developments. This position will report to the Associate General Counsel in OPPRA’s New York, New York office responsible for enterprise-wide finance and risk functions.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Advising the company on strategic advocacy and implementation regarding regulatory capital, liquidity, and other Pillar 1 metrics.
- Counseling the many business segments throughout the company concerning the application of new regulatory standards and supervisory requirements to their products and services.
- Provide counsel on the development and implementation of U.S. and global resolution and recovery planning efforts.
- Participate in firm-wide and business centered stress-testing initiatives, including yearly CCAR preparation and submission and DFAST stress-testing exercises.
- Serve as a legal advisor to Corporate Treasury’s business units, including the corporate investments portfolio, asset-liability management, internal business combination transactions, capital actions, and corporate funding.
- Work with BNY Mellon’s Exchange Act disclosure legal team in formulating quarterly regulatory affairs disclosure across the firm, as well as capital- and liquidity-specific disclosures.
- “Connecting the dots” to identify emerging supervisory trends and ensuring that these are considered in broader advocacy efforts.
- Managing company responses to supervisory and enforcement actions and advising on remedial action plans.
Vice President-Senior Talent Acquisition Advisor/ Legal Affairs
Bank of New York Mellon
- Mid-level attorney capable of operating independently, with a strong background in banking and finance transactions, bank regulatory issues, and financial policy issues.
- Experience with bank capital and liquidity matters, investment securities portfolios, stress testing, disclosure, and asset/liability management principles.
- Experience with custody bank/trust bank issues and business models would be a plus.
- The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of key global regulatory regimes.
- Strong communication skills required.