Position: Counsel – Broker Dealer
Company: Bank of New York Mellon
Location: King of Prussia, PA
Description: BNY Mellon is a global investments company dedicated to helping its clients manage and service their financial assets throughout the investment lifecycle. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, BNY Mellon delivers informed investment management and investment services in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments.
Pershing LLC is seeking a Vice President, Counsel to support its Managed Investments unit and affiliated registered investment adviser, Lockwood Advisors, Inc., based in King of Prussia, PA. This individual should have excellent analytical, interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills, and should be able to prioritize job functions within a small team that works closely with the business unit they support. The Vice President, Counsel will manage and negotiate contracts with Pershing and Lockwood clients for a variety of advisory, technology, and operational services, with a particular focus on supporting wrap programs and other managed investment solutions.
Reports to Managing Counsel and serves as a key adviser within a small but collegial legal team in King of Prussia and as a valued member of the broader Pershing Legal Department. May advise on new product development and regulatory risk management decisions. Provides business management and associates with expert advice and guidance in identifying the critical problems to which the application of legal principals yields the greatest opportunities for minimizing risks and maximizing profits. Keeps fully informed on all legislation affecting business operations and developments in corporate and securities law practice, updating the team and management as appropriate. An ideal candidate has in-house counsel experience in securities law with expertise in the 1940 Advisers Act. A background in legal matter affecting RIAs is required and experience with a regulator and/or broker dealer would be a plus.
- Partner with business unit management and staff with respect to legal issues as assigned.
- Prepare, review and negotiate company contracts, requests for proposals and other legal documents.
- Assist the legal department with administrative or legal matters as necessary, including the managing of matters assigned by more senior attorneys.
- Provide leadership and direction to business colleagues on regulatory compliance and ethical conduct.
- Collaborate with business leaders and associates to develop legal and regulatory best practices.
Contact: Lisa Pinelli, Vice President-Senior Talent Acquisition Advisor/ Legal Affairs, Bank of New York Mellon, Lisa.Pinelli@bnymellon.com,
- JD Degree and licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania or licensed in another jurisdiction and able to obtain authorization to practice in Pennsylvania.
- 5+ years of legal experience with a focus on contracts and investment advisory issues. Experience with a Registered Investment Adviser or regulatory agency preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including strong presentation abilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills to influence and impact business decisions.
- Knowledge of laws and regulations that relate to broker dealer business is preferred.
- Expert judgment and decision making skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment that requires hands-on support and business teamwork.