Position: Senior Counsel Litigation
Location: Connecticut or Philadelphia
Description: Provides legal analysis of a broad array of healthcare and corporate matters with a demonstrated ability to effectively and independently manage complex litigation. Determines matter strategy and accurately analyzes risks and recommends alternative approaches to problem resolution. Possesses knowledge of laws governing the health care services business and provides assessment of potential litigation. Develops and maintains strong knowledge of regulatory environment affecting business. Efficiently resolves legal issues without step-by-step guidance. Collaborates well with team members and colleagues across Cigna Legal. Effectively manages relationships with outside counsel, clients, and senior level management.
- Senior Counsel, Litigation is responsible for providing litigation advice and counsel to Cigna’s domestic businesses on a broad array of healthcare and corporate matters.
- Works closely with internal clients to provide creative, proactive, solution-oriented advice to support and protect business goals and objectives.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining a strong understanding of the key aspects of Cigna’s global strategy to effectively advise clients on substantive issues facing them in litigation.
- Responsible for managing a heavy litigation case load of open matters working collaboratively with others in Cigna Legal and effectively managing outside counsel.
Contact: Arria Brown, Senior Recruiter, Legal & Compliance, Cigna Talent Acquisition, Arria.Brown@Cigna.com
- Law degree; at least 8 years of corporate litigation or law firm experience preferably in the healthcare field.
- JD and active Bar membership in PA or CT.
- Strong analytical, negotiating, and communication skills
- Ability to maintain client-focus as well as bring a creative approach to problem solving;
- Ability to efficiently manage a substantial number of issues in litigation and perform at a high level in a dynamic team environment.
- Working knowledge of federal and state insurance and health care laws.
- Exceptional track record of case management, strong partnership and collaboration, influential leadership, and process management.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, demonstrated good judgment and willingness to take on any project.
- Ability to maneuver through business barriers to drive initiatives throughout the enterprise.
- Ability to present complex legal issues to management and to lead initiatives as needed.