HOT JOBS APRIL 2014
Position: Attorney Corporate III-Litigation and Default Servicing
Company: Fannie Mae
Location: Dallas, TX
Description: The Associate General Counsel will operate with considerable latitude in consulting, advising, and representing the company on a variety of highly complex legal matters and projects related to residential mortgage loan default servicing and foreclosure. This position reports to the Vice President, Deputy General Counsel or a managing director. Provide legal counsel to management on broad issues affecting the company. Ensure that legal documents regarding loan foreclosures, evictions, bankruptcies, servicing initiatives, outsourcing arrangements, and other contracts, or other corporate actions are prepared properly. Confer with executives to assess and control legal risks to the company regarding corporate initiatives, loan level foreclosure and bankruptcy oversight, loss mitigation solutions, state law compliance, or regulatory concerns. May act as a subject area/technical expert, or key advisor on significant loss mitigation solutions decisions and loan level foreclosure/bankruptcy management with or without management responsibilities. May manage a specific unit or specialist function. May directly manage outside counsel.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
Provide legal advice and service by combining skill in real estate law with sound business acumen and knowledge of business goals and objectives of the company or assigned business units.
• Supervise and actively direct outside counsel handling loss mitigation, foreclosure and bankruptcy matters relating to residential mortgages in order to ensure best practices, legal compliance, efficient, low-cost handling and high performance level. Develop and implement alternative solutions to ensure prompt, efficient resolution of defaulted residential mortgages, including developing relationships with external parties in a position to assist in implementing solutions.
• Use business and legal judgment to balance an appropriate level of risk against the business needs in a particular situation. Operate within the framework of allowable corporate behavior and governance, and legal and regulatory compliance.
• Work closely with business clients and outside counsel to ensure adherence to important corporate and regulatory policies.
• Draft templates, write documents, draft/negotiate contracts. Advise on legal risks incident to loss mitigation solutions. May draft comment letters. May analyze legislation that impacts the company and assist the company in responding to inquiries from Congress and government agencies.
• Engage with assigned business units to meet goals. Pursue details and achieve closure on various matters. Provide excellent client service.
• Juris Doctorate Degree or equivalent required
• 8+ years of related experience
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
• Significant experience with real estate, residential mortgage finance, title insurance, credit default, foreclosures, bankruptcies, evictions, litigation and property management issues preferred.
• Prior experience with mortgage loan servicing, with an emphasis on defaulted mortgages.
• Demonstrated ability to handle one or more of the following areas: escalated or litigated loan level issues, foreclosure and bankruptcy matters, outside counsel management, and development and documentation of loss mitigation strategies and pilots/campaigns with servicers.
• Prior servicer or in-house mortgage servicing experience or outside residential mortgage foreclosure or bankruptcy law firm experience strongly preferred.
• General litigation experience also strongly preferred.
Contact: Please apply online at https://fanniemae.taleo.net/careersection/10000/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=39393