MCCA recognizes outstanding law departments that progress in changing the legal profession. The Employer of Choice Award is designed to spotlight industry leaders who have a commitment to and succeed at creating and maintaining an inclusive corporate legal department. The Employer of Choice Award is based on the concept behind the Creating Pathways to Diversity Research Project, which is a three-year effort to study how corporate law departments and law firms design, implement, and monitor their diversity progress. In the first year, Pathways revealed that, with respect to their diversity efforts, most corporate law departments can be placed on a spectrum from compliance with federal regulations to inclusion. Their transition and progress through these stages are facilitated by integrated initiatives that align diversity goals with strategic business goals. The Pathways concept is as follows:
- Compliance brings people into an organization.
- Diversity demonstrates an appreciation for their differences.
- Inclusion creates an environment in which people want to stay.
The Employer of Choice award will be presented at MCCA's Diversity Honors Gala at the Lincoln Center in New York City to those organizations that are successful at hiring, retaining, and developing, today’s best and brightest legal talent as the Employers of Choice. The selection criteria include:
- Alignment of diversity activities with long-term, corporate-wide strategic initiatives;
- Commitment from senior management that translates into measurable objectives at the business unit level;
- Metrics for accountability;
- Compensation of senior management in the legal department tied to the results of diversity efforts;
- Substantive training programs;
- Demonstrated institutional implementation or design of policies and practices that support people in doing their best work and developing to their fullest potential;
- Leadership through creating an environment that eliminates barriers to communication and encourages everyone’s contribution;
- Formal programs or policies that value, encourage, and enable individual attorney growth and improvement (e.g. mentoring, skills development seminars, etc.).
Deadline: December 6, 2012
To be considered for the 2013 Employer of Choice Award in a designated geographical region, complete the nomination form and provide summaries for each answer. Mail to: 1111 Pennsylvania Ave., NW Washington, DC 20004 or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
Delaware, Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Southern New Jersey, Virginia, Washington D.C., and West Virginia.
Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.
Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Northern New Jersey, Rhode Island, and Vermont.